Last Updated on September 26, 2021 by Rajeev Bagra
For launching your website/e-store, there are quite a number of options.
- Website Builder: Readymade websites that can be made live without any programming using drag and drop features. Proprietary in nature. Limited customization (say compared to WordPress) in terms of appearance or functionality. Examples are GoDaddy Website Builder, Weebly, and LeadPages. The site is hosted by the brand.
- Shared Hosting: “Shared hosting is web hosting where single sites get placed on a single server with other websites, all sharing RAM, CPU, storage, and bandwidth resources.” You launch your own apps such as WordPress on a server that is shared by many users at the same time. Your IP address is shared by many. Okay for a small website as the cost is minimal. Examples of popular companies providing such types of hosting include GoDaddy, NameCheap, and Hostinger.
Liquid Web is one of the most popular brands for web hosting but does not include a Website Builder or Shared Hosting. Nor do they provide domain registrar services. So, you need to buy domain name from domain registrars (such as GoDaddy, NameCheap, and BigRock) and connect with the Liquid Web hosting as part of launching your website or e-store.
Instead of shared hosting, Liquid Web provides VPS, cloud, and dedicated hosting. Managed hosting is taken care by their sister brands Nexcess (includes Managed WordPress, Managed WooCommerce, and Managed Magento plans) and iThemes (Managed WordPress).
Let us take a look at this way:
- In case you have just started with a new website or e-store with a limited budget, you may like to go with a shared hosting available as low as 1$ to 5$ per month. The cheapest that came to my notice is Hostinger.
- Once your business grows and you see increased audience, you might consider managed plans by Nexcess or iThemes. Nexcess plans starting @13$ per month for Managed WordPress and Managed WooCommerce. With 15GB storage and 2TB bandwidth, you can load large amount of content. With capability to process 500 sales per hour, it appears that WooCommerce Managed Plan is quite cheap @13$ per month. Another option is iThemes Managed WordPress Hosting. iThemes has its genesis in developing WordPress plugins BackupBuddy, iThemes Security, and iThemes Sync. Starting price of Managed WordPress hosting plan by iThemes is 15$ per month for 2 sites. With 20GB storage, there is 80k pageviews (in one month) limit for this plan. Even managed hosting plans by Nexcess include for free pro iThemes plugins. In case you are going to host one WordPress site, Nexcess is the option. For two sites or more, we recommend iThemes.
- Managed hosting plans that we covered under (2) above are actually VPS (Virtual Private Server) with a special package for WordPress/WooCommerce/Magento sites. The server is shared but virtually mimics dedicated server. Lower in cost than dedicated hosting and better security and performance than shared hosting. With InterWorx, Plesk Web Pro, or cPanel, you can launch not just WordPress, WooCommerce, or Magento but almost all popular open source CMS or e-commerce software on Linux (if you prefer Windows, then Plesk Onyx). Even start your own customized applications in popular programming languages including PHP, Python, or C++. Similar VPS offerings by AWS are Amazon Lightsail and EC2.
- Still powerful in terms of enhanced security are Liquid Web’s Dedicated Servers, Cloud Dedicated Servers, VMware Private Cloud, Server Clusters, and HIPAA Compliant Hosting. These are suitable for large enterprises rather than SMEs.
Next, I am taking a brief look at VPS Hosting by Liquid Web while putting in perspective similar hostings by AWS.
- Free 24×7 support on chat/ticket with Liquid Web. AWS support is pricey and not available in the form of instant chat.
- Web admin panels (InterWorx, CPanel, Plesk) will be charged extra in case of AWS. Need to buy them from AWS Marketplace. Free with Liquid Web VPS.
While for web hosting, Liquid Web and its sister brands Nexcess and iThemes are specialized in, anything on the top of web hosting, such as AI (Artificial Intelligence), you might need a cloud computing service provider whether be SageMaker by AWS or IBM Watson by IBM. You can still have web hosting under Liquid Web and integrate the same with additional applications by the likes of AWS, Microsoft Azure, IBM, Oracle Cloud in a systematic way.
Known for delivering mission critical sites, stores, and applications with Home Depot and makers of Games of Thrones Ascent under client list, Liquid Web has tons of positive reviews on popular review sites including TrustPilot (4.4/5 dated 21 May 2021), TrustRadius (9.3/10 dated 21 May 2021), and PCMag (Editors’ Choice), thereby establishing its credibility.